Instagram straight lines

If you look at my Instagram account, you’ll clearly see a similarity to a majority of my shots: they usually feature some straight lines, generally the line of the horizon. I’m kind of obsessed with straight lines, because, well, I guess I’m just OCD like that. The problem is all photos aren’t shot perfectly straight, and more often than not, you’ll have to manually straighten them to get them leveled to your liking.

Straightening a photo isn’t a pro tip by any means, but the feature isn’t necessarily very obvious either, hence this quick tip on how to straighten a photo on iPhone.

How to straighten photos on iPhone or iPad

Although this post shows iPhone screenshots, the process is exactly the same on iPad.

Step 1: Launch the Photos app and select the photo you want to straighten.

Step 2: At the bottom of the screen, tap the Edit button.

Step 3: At the bottom of the screen, tap the crop icon located to the right of the Cancel button. This will bring up the cropping and straightening controls.

Step 4: Directly under the photo, place your finger on the dial and drag it left or right to adjust the leveling. You’ll notice a grid will appear on top of the photo to help you properly adjust it to your liking.

Step 5: Once it is straight, simply tap the Done button and your edits will be saved.

For more photo tips, make sure to check out our iPhone Photography page.

  • Andres

    99% of iPhone users already know that. This post is for that 1%

    • Right, and there is nothing wrong with that.

    • Fanboy 

      Where did you get these statistics? I’m sure more than 1% of my friends wouldnt know this.

      And you do realize that even 1% of the MILLIONS of iDevices equals thousands still lol

      • Diego

        I pretty sure that most users don’t know that, most users are normal users, they don’t edit images, don’t do nothing else beside the basic on their iPhones. The only thing they do with pictures is put some filter using instagram and that it.

      • Fanboy 

        Thats my point, there’s a lot of users who wouldnt know about this feature. @Andres up above actually changed his original comment lol. He had originally commented that “99% of iPhone users already know this and this article only applies to the other 1%”, making it seem as if this article was pointless when in fact it will help a lot of people.

      • Andres

        actually thousands of people don’t know about this feature 😉

  • Joaquim Nascimento

    I don’t usually leave comments here but this time I had to say that’s a very good tip for most people who usually have no idea what can be done using the Photos app, like my wife who just read this tip here. haha

    Edit: Thank you and please, keep posting the tips!

  • EqualityForAll

    Cool cool cool

  • workin

    IG has straighten edit function too, I believe. Thanks for the stock Photos app editing tip too, bro.

  • Norbi Whitney

    I’m really impressed by its auto-level function. Just tapping on the crop icon will auto-level slightly crooked shots with an obvious horizon.
    For further straightening and lens correction you should all check out the app SKRWT.

  • Chocolatewe

    simple but useful. thanks Sebastien 🙂

  • GzyOnline

    this must be for iOS 8+ only.. i don’t see this feature in iOS 7

    • Mark Boltz

      Yeah, it’s for iOS 8. But you can always get a photo editing app for that! I use VSCO Cam. It’s magic.