If you’ve been a loyal Spotify subscriber who has decided it’s time to move on and embrace Apple Music, you should first stop your recurring subscription on the service.
Doing so ensures that Spotify will no longer charge your credit card a subscription fee every month and will also revert your account to the free level. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to upgrade to the paid service at any time, in case you change your mind.
In this quick tutorial, we’ll guide you step by step through the process of canceling your Spotify Premium subscription and degrading your account to the free Spotify service.
How to cancel your Spotify Premium subscription on the web
1) Open Spotify’s subscription webpage at spotify.com/account-subscription in your desktop web browser and log in with your user name and password.
2) Under Subscription and Payment click the link “Cancel your subscription.”
3) Select a reason why you’re cancelling your subscription (choose Other reasons if you’re canceling for a promotion) and click Continue to confirm your choice.
4) Now click Cancel My Subscription.
5) Enter your password in the field and click Cancel Spotify Premium subscription.
If you subscribed to Spotify Premium through iTunes, follow the instructions below.
How to cancel your Spotify Premium subscription through iTunes
1) On your iOS device, go to Settings → App and iTunes Stores and tap your Apple ID.
2) Now tap View Apple ID and provide your Apple ID password, if asked to do s.
3) Under the Subscriptions heading tap Manage.
4) Tap your Spotify Premium subscription in the list and select Turn off Automatic Renewal to cancel it. Your subscription will stop at the end of the current billing cycle.
5) Tap Done to finish.
If you subscribed to Spotify Premium through a third-party service other than iTunes, you need to contact that company to cancel.
Tip: If you don’t see your Spotify Premium subscription in iTunes and are still being charged, make sure you’re signed in with the correct Apple ID. As a last resort, look for a link to manage your account in the confirmation email Spotify sent you when you first signed up for the paid service, and click Update Details on the landing page.
Should the process fail, don’t worry—you can always contact Apple directly regarding the problem you’re seeing or call your credit card company to cancel the payment.
As soon as Spotify has cancelled your subscription, you’ll receive a notice on your email account on file . As mentioned, cancelling the paid service will revert your account to the free level and your subscription page will show the date you’ll revert to the free service.
You can now, of course, optionally remove the Spotify mobile app from your device. You may also want to delete your Spotify account, which will also remove all your custom playlists. On the other hand, it might be a better idea to leave it intact in case you ever want to return to Spotify and re-activate your subscription.
RELATED: How to delete your Spotify account
Submit tutorial ideas of your own at [email protected].